Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Interview with Eerie Von of Samhain/Danzig/Rosemary's Babies


By Chris Carlton

Squid Pro Quo: Thanks for taking the time to talk with Squid Pro Quo, Eerie. You recently had a book of your photographs taken throughout the years released called Misery Obscura. How did the book come about?

Eerie Von: "I wanted to put a book out for years; couldn't do it. It was just the right time for it to come out, and it did; just luck."

SPQ: You recently talked about doing a book signing tour for Misery Obscura. How did the tour go, and are there going to be any more dates in the near future?

EV: "Couldn't get the money together to do a book tour, and the publisher wouldn't front it, so it never happened. I'm staging art/photography shows myself. The first one is in Columbus, OH on June 25th. I hope to do more if I can."

SPQ: Some of your photos were used in the insert for the Misfits "Walk Among Us" album dating back to your high school days. How did you get started in photography?

EV: "I started shooting sports, and the pretty girls at my school. You can get friendly with everyone if you take their picture! It was just something fun to do, then I got pretty good at it."

SPQ: You've played so many different styles of music throughout the years, from your days in Rosemary's Babies to Samhain to Danzig up to your solo career. What are some of your musical influences?

EV: "My musical influences are many, but mostly '50s rock 'n' roll, motown, the blues and punk."

SPQ: On top of being a musician and photographer, you're also a skilled painter. How long have you been painting?

EV: "I've been drawing and painting all my life, since about five years old. I've only been selling the 'Fiend Art' for about 12 years though."

SPQ: You've been keeping busy since your last album, 2009's Kinda Country with your book release, art tour and working with Kara Clark. Are there any plans for a new solo record?

EV: "Working on a new record now, when I can. Been pretty busy lately, but I plan on releasing a new record in the near future."

SPQ: When the new Kara Clark album is in the can, will you be touring with her in support of the new release?

EV: "I don't know if I will be doing any touring with Kara Clark, but I may do some dates here and there, or get up and do a song. Her new EP is fucking awesome."

SPQ: Fans and Fiends around the world are always wondering, will there ever be a reunion of either Samhain or Danzig with the classic lineups?

EV: "I don't think there will ever be a reunion of those original bands."

SPQ: Is there a website where fans can find news on upcoming releases, tour dates and merch?

EV: "Right now, it's best to go to the Facebook fan page. I don't have the new EerieVon777 page up yet and www.eerievon.com is not my site."

SPQ: Thanks so much for taking the time to talk with Squid Pro Quo, Eerie. I hope we get to see you in Chicago real soon! Thanks again.

EV: "It's been a pleasure. We hope to take the art/photography show to Chicago!"

No comments: